Date Added: 7/23/2008 Updated: 20090420131001 Posted by: administrator David.Birrellfife.gov.uk
Viewed: 3789 times Comments: 1 Votes: 1 Rating: 8
What is Carbon Monoxide? • Carbon monoxide is an odourless and invisible gas.
• Gas or oil appliances, such as faulty radiators, clothes dryers, heaters and blocked flues or chimneys, can produce it.
• Because it doesn't have any smell and you can't see it, it is difficult to know if you have a carbon monoxide leak - but there are symptoms you can look out for.
• Poisoning can occur very quickly so if you or anyone else in your house is suffering from any of these symptoms make sure you see a doctor:Tiredness, chest pains, drowsiness, headaches, dizziness.
You can also spot a carbon monoxide leak by looking at your gas appliances or fires.
Look out for:
• A flame - normally blue- appearing yellow or orange;
• Stains of soot; • Coal or wood fires not burning well or going out; • Smoke coming into the room;
If you suspect carbon monoxide leakage IMMEDIATELY:
• Open all doors and windows
• Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve
• Call the Transco Emergency telephone number 0800 111 999
By following these simple steps you can help prevent and detect carbon monoxide poisoning:
• Have all your appliances, including boilers or heating systems, checked and serviced at least once a year.
• Install a carbon monoxide detector alarm near to where you sleep.
• Always check that your carbon monoxide detector complies with British Standard BS 7860.
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Have your chimney swept every year - even if you burn 'smokeless' fuel.
• Make sure that any heater using fossil fuel has proper ventilation. (The person servicing the heater or sweeping the chimney can advise you).
Check all gas appliances for safety, especially in rooms fitted with draught excluders or double-glazing and conservatories.
• If you suspect an appliance fuelled by coal, smokeless fuels, wood or oil is not working properly, get it checked by a qualified engineer.
• If you think a gas appliance is not working correctly, or if ventilation is poor, get it checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer. For your nearest Gas Safe engineer, call 0800 408 5500 or click here to go to their website (Make sure you have your post code at hand before you ‘phone.)
• When using gas cylinders and paraffin heaters always follow the instructions.
Transco Gas Emergency FREEPHONE number 0800 111 999