Date Added: 7/14/2008 Posted by: administrator David.Birrellfife.gov.uk
Viewed: 5062 times
Each year in the UK, approximately 600 home accidents which require treatment at an Accident and Emergency department, involve the use of electrical equipment. A large proportion of these accidents were related to cables, plugs and fuses. By adhering to a few basic rules, you could make sure that you do not become one of these statistics. WIRING A PLUG SAFELY
By now most of us are used to the new colour coded wiring for domestic appliances and can connect a plug to them safely.
BROWN OR RED - LIVE OR L
BLUE OR BLACK - NEUTRAL OR N
GREEN AND YELLOW OR GREEN - EARTH OR E
BASIC RULES TO FOLLOW WHEN FIXING A PLUG TO AN APPLIANCE
1. Always use the correct plug type manufactured to BS 1363.
2. Use a new plug or check that the plug is undamaged inside and out.
3. Always fit a fuse of the type and size specified for the appliance.
4. Inspect plugs and flexes regularly and replace damaged ones immediately.
5. Always ensure that an appliance is properly earthed where an earth cable is provided.